Monday, June 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Starting off.....
The first pictures that I have to share our from our trek back in August of 2006. I know if was a while ago, but an experience that I will never forget. We were there for a week. I went on the cooking commitee. We prepared meals for be breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks on the road for the youth. We had over 400 youth and leaders and that isn't counting us (food committee), equipment committee (Mike was on), and first aid specials. I was up at 4am helping with a bunch of us to get breakfast on by 6am so that the youth could be on the trek by 7am. We would take turns making breakfast, lunch and snacks for the youth. They had to have there lunches with them and snacks needed to be ready when the time for delievery was needed. When everyone was done with breakfast, the BIG CLEAN UP and pack away so that we could get to our next destination before dinner so that we could set up and cook before the youth arrived from there 16 miles of walking all day long. Somewhere we still needed to find time for us to eat too! If we were lucky we were to bed by 10 to 11pm at night. Not much sleep, but I don't remember much of that. We did get a chance around 12noon to 2pm to explore a little. The first day we were all able to go on a special hike up above the Sweetwater River, to Martins Cove. We heard stories of how the pioneers lived and struggled through these times. It was a beautiful, humid day and I am glad I had the chance to be with Mike that day. We didn't get to see much of each other except for meals and bed time.
Mike as I said before was on the equipment committee. He was up around 5:30 to get everyones gear put on the trucks and moved to the next location. Remember that was for over 400 youth and leaders. So there was tents, sleeping bags, pails(each persons supplies), and also to help with awnings and some kitchen equipment too.
I remember one night that the youth had a fireside where they did square dancing. It was awesome to see! 400 youth and leaders dancing around. I remember them practicing weeks before in my own ward. I wish I had my journal to write more but I have it packed away. I will make comments on pictures that I add. It was a wonderful week!
Mike as I said before was on the equipment committee. He was up around 5:30 to get everyones gear put on the trucks and moved to the next location. Remember that was for over 400 youth and leaders. So there was tents, sleeping bags, pails(each persons supplies), and also to help with awnings and some kitchen equipment too.
I remember one night that the youth had a fireside where they did square dancing. It was awesome to see! 400 youth and leaders dancing around. I remember them practicing weeks before in my own ward. I wish I had my journal to write more but I have it packed away. I will make comments on pictures that I add. It was a wonderful week!
Some Youth and Leaders on first day
Excitement and facing the unknown
Handcart
This is what the Ma's and Pa's with Youth pulled and pushed for 16 miles a day.
Devil's Gate
One of many views, we were not aloud to go there. The owners made it off limits to the trek groups.
Working Hard!
Mike and committee working to get items off trucks for the evening.
Dinner line up
Trekers waiting in line for their meal
Dinner Preparation
We made dessert and some dinners with dutch ovens! Fun, Fun, Fun!!!
Washing?...clothes, no dishes!
This is how we washed the dishes. There were about 6 to 8 buckets.
Sweetwater River
It was nice to see water. The youth jumped in after there long walk!
Water Pump
This was the only way we could get water at some of our campsites. We would have to walk some distance to get it. So the truck became our best friend.

No comments:
Post a Comment